Summary: Type USA phone numbers into Excel 2003 spreadsheets quicker by just typing the numbers and ignoring any punctuation.
If you need to enter hundreds, perhaps thousands, of USA or Canadian phone numbers into a Microsoft Excel 2003 spreadsheet, any few characters you can save when typing the numbers add up.
Excel can automatically format numbers into USA/Canadian phone numbers, adding parenthesis, spaces, and dashes.
For example, the phone number 5555550101 can automatically be formatted into (555) 555-0101.
1. Select the cells that will contain phone numbers. Or, select a group of cells that already contain phone numbers without the added punctuation.
2. Select "Format" - "Cells", press CTRL-1, or right-click and choose "Format Cells".
3. The multi-tabbed "Format Cells" dialog box appears. Click the "Number" tab.
4. Underneath "Category", click "Special".
5. Make sure the Locale pull-down says "English (United States)" or similar.
6. Underneath "Type", click "Phone Number".
7. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
Applying a Phone Number style to a group of cells in a Microsoft Excel 2003 spreadsheet
Add: Del.icio.us | Digg | Furl | My Yahoo!
Last Modified on: August 27, 2008, at 8:39 A.M. EDT
Return to the Microsoft Excel 2003 Cell Formatting page.
Search the Site: