If you need to enter hundreds, perhaps thousands, of USA or Canadian phone numbers into a Microsoft Excel 2003 spreadsheet, any few characters you can save when typing the numbers add up.
Excel can automatically format numbers into USA/Canadian phone numbers, adding parenthesis, spaces, and dashes.
For example, the phone number 5555550101 can automatically be formatted into (555) 555-0101.
1. Select the cells that will contain phone numbers. Or, select a group of cells that already contain phone numbers without the added punctuation.
2. Select "Format" - "Cells", press CTRL-1, or right-click and choose "Format Cells".
3. The multi-tabbed "Format Cells" dialog box appears. Click the "Number" tab.
4. Underneath "Category", click "Special".
5. Make sure the Locale pull-down says "English (United States)" or similar.
6. Underneath "Type", click "Phone Number".
7. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
Applying a Phone Number style to a group of cells in a Microsoft Excel 2003 spreadsheet
Press the "print" button on your browser or select "File" - "Print" to print this tip. Then, return to Microsoft Excel 2003 Cell Formatting - Automatically Add Punctuation to Phone Numbers.
Standard disclaimer applies - Read http://tipsforspreadsheets.com/copyright-disclaim.html.